Navajo National Monument, Arizona. November 2011.
Tsegi Canyons were the last hold-outs of the Anasazi before launching their mass immigration to the south and east towards the end of the 13th century.
According to the tree-ring dating of roof beams, first carried out by Jeffrey Dean in the 1960s, Betatakin was built in 1267. The grander Keet Seel, which was closed to visits at the time, was first occupied in 950, but the current dwellings date to 1250. Tsegi Canyons were abandoned shortly after 1286.
D. Roberts, Sandstone Spine, The Mountaineers Books, 2006.
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory Detail:United States of America