Famine Memorial, St. Stephen's Green, Dublin, Ireland. 24-4-2007.
By the end of the first half of 19th century, rural Ireland was overwhelmingly dependent on potato growth. Then came the blight in1845. The crops failed drastically for three years in a row. More than one million people died of disease and starvation, and over 2.5 million fled the country. The Irish migration to far-away lands suffered heavy losses on the so-called "coffin ships." Meanwhile the government and the landlords continued to impose rents and export food out of the country, incarcerating the poor and hungry in workhouses and prisons for not being able to pay the rents. By 1900, the pre-famine population of 8 million had declined by half. In fact, standing at about 6 million as of 2007, full recovery still looks far away.
Dublin did not witness the worst effects of the famine, but its streets and squares became crowded with desperate migrants from the countryside. Monuments dedicated to the memory of those who perished in the Great Famine of 1845-1848 can be seen in several spots. This particular one showing a woman feeding water to a fellow victim is located in the northeastern corner of St. Stephen's Green. It is a lost-wax bronze casting, the primary technique employed by its sculptor Edward Delaney in 1960s.
Nikon D200, AF-S Nikkor 18-70/3.5-4.5G ED, 1/20 sec, f/7.1, ISO 100, FL=56 mm